that final sound is kinda important

Last week, I was reading aloud The Stubborn Pumpkin to my first graders. In the story, a farmer tries to pull a stubborn pumpkin off the vine. He enlists the help of many people and animals. First his wife, then his daughter, then the cow, then the dog..... etc.

I paused after the cow came along to help and asked my students who they thought would come next. One little girl, who has trouble with the final "s", shouted:

"A HORE!!!!!!!!"

I knew what she meant. But what she meant and what it sounded like were two very different things, and I had to laugh!

5 comments:

Jill said...

LOVE when stuff like that happens!

This isn't really in the same vein, but still a funny story... when I student taught in first grade, Open Court always had like 25 words a day that the kids would read off the board together. Sometimes I'd go over the meanings if the words were unfamiliar to the kids. One day, the word was "player", so I asked if anyone knew what a player was. One boy raised his hand and said, "A player is someone who cheats on you!"

I was dying laughing!!

Marvelous Multiagers!

Randy et Jan said...

And some little girls with no hearing loss at all will talk backwards to me!! Can't wait to see you! Love, Mom

Sarah Garb said...

Hah! It's always best when the entertainingly incorrect word is SHOUTED ;) I successfully remembered to avoid some unintended inappropriate words this week when I revised our syllables lesson. When you split the word ti-dy incorrectly and say a short sound...you get tid-y. Uh, not great. I traded that one for ti-ny this year. Even if you mess up the syllables, it's OK.

Miss Angel said...

LOL! Hope none of the other kids knew what the sound-alike word means! ;)

Delighted said...

That is too funny! Thanks for sharing, it brought a big smile to my face. Been there...
First Grade Delight
imgoingfirst@gmail.com

Newer Posts Older Posts Home